This article describes how to restore from the CrashPlan app.
- Open the CrashPlan app and go to Restore.
- If there are multiple computers on your account, select the computer containing the files you want to restore.
- If the selected computer is backing up to multiple destinations, select the backup destination that you want to use for this restore.
- If you want to restore your files from a previous date, click most recent to select the date from a calendar.
- Select the checkboxes for the folders and files you want to restore.
Learn more about finding files (including hidden or deleted files) below.
- Update the restore options to specify the version, permissions, restore location, and naming convention for your restored files.
- Click the links in the description to see your options and change a selection.
- When in doubt, restore using current permissions.
- Click Restore.
Your download begins immediately. The Restore Status displays the status of your restored files.
- It is safe to close the CrashPlan app while the files restore in the background.
- If you are restoring a large amount of data, consider optimizing your computer settings to prevent disruptions.
- Alternatively, if you don't want to restore all of the files at once, you can shut down or put your computer to sleep, and the restore will resume where it left off when it is powered on again.
Finding files to restore
If you want to restore a specific file, you can enter a portion of the file name in the search field. You can also search for a particular file extension (for example, jpeg).
Some temporary and system files are hidden in the CrashPlan restore view because you do not typically need to interact with these files. Hidden files and locations do not appear in the file selection list by default. Select Show hidden files to view hidden files.
CrashPlan stores deleted files based on your version retention settings (the default setting is to never remove deleted files from your backup archive). To display or search for deleted files in the file tree, select Show deleted files.
After you enable Show deleted files, your deleted files appear in the file tree and can be restored.